This is such a quick and tasty dish! It was a lifesaver last night when I got a much later start on the nightly dinner routine than I normally like to. But because this dish comes together so quickly, my late start was easily made up for, and we still had time to relax and have plenty of family time before bed.
This truly is the perfect meal for a busy night when you need to make a meal fast without sacrificing taste. The most labor-intensive part of this dish is chopping the onion and bell peppers. Pretty easy! From start to finish, this recipe can be done in 30 minutes or less.
We made tostadas with this filling and they were awesome! There are so many other quick and easy things you could do with it though—it would be excellent as a burrito or taco filling, or put the mixture over a bed of lettuce and make a salad. So many possibilities!!
Keep this meal vegan by simply not putting cheese on top when you compile the tostadas, or use a vegan cheese substitute.
But if you’re going to use cheese, grate it yourself! I promise, the taste difference is tremendous, and it only takes a minute.
Enjoy these quick and easy tostadas on a busy weeknight! I hope this recipe is the lifesaver for you it was for me!
- ¾ cups white rice, dry (I prefer Jasmine or Basmati)
- 1 small onion, I use sweet onion; chopped to ¾ inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ red bell pepper; chopped to ¾ inch pieces
- ½ green bell pepper; chopped to ¾ inch pieces
- ½ bag Morningstar crumbles, or 8 oz your favorite ground beef substitute
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¾ tsp fresh lime juice, or to taste
- Tostada shells
- Freshly grated cheddar
- Finely chopped cilantro
- Sour cream, salsa, lettuce, etc.!!
Cook the rice
- First, get the rice cooking in your rice cooker (or stovetop if you prefer.) That way the rice will be done by the time you are ready to use it.
Cook the onion and bell peppers
- While the rice cooks, heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, and add the onion and ½ tsp sea salt. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium, or until the onion starts to turn translucent and begins to char a bit on the edges.
- Now add the bell peppers, and continue to cook on medium for 2-3 minutes, until the bell peppers begin to char. Now turn the heat down to low and cook for another 7 minutes. The onion and the peppers should be mostly soft, but still have a bit of bite to them.
- Transfer the onion/bell pepper mixture to a plate.
Cook the Morningstar/ground meat substitute
- Put a little more oil in the skillet and turn the heat back up to medium.
- Add the Morningstar crumbles/meat substitute to the skillet. Cook until the Morningstar is heated through and beginning to crisp a little bit, about 5-7 minutes. Lower the heat if the Morningstar sticks too much to the bottom of the pan.
Bring it all together
- Now add the cooked rice, drained black beans, onion/bell pepper mixture, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and remaining ½ tsp sea salt to the skillet with the Morningstar. Mix until everything is evenly distributed and incorporated.
- Cook over medium low heat until the mixture is warm, about five minutes. Take off the heat, and mix in the fresh lime juice. Taste, and add more lime juice and salt to taste.
Complile the tostadas and serve!
- Now take a tostada shell, spoon the filling onto the shell, top with cheese, cilantro, and avodado, if using. Serve with salsa, sour cream, lettuce, etc., and enjoy!