Vegan and Gluten-Free Banana Graham Bread
Studded with chocolate chips and graham cracker crumbs, this banana bread is even more delicious when made vegan and/or gluten-free!
Servings: 12 slicesPrint Recipe
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 flaxseed eggs OR 2 regular eggs, (2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp water = 1 flaxseed egg in my recipes. So here you would need 4 tbsp ground flaxseed meal and 6 tbsp water, UNLESS you decided to use 2 regular eggs instead.)
- 1 ½ cups flour, use a gluten-free flour blend to keep this bread vegan, I prefer Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs, substitute with 1 cup almond meal if needed (see notes)
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon, (I prefer ceylon cinnamon here)
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
Make the flax seed “eggs"
If using flaxseed eggs, add 4 tbsp ground flaxseed meal and 6 tbsp water to a small bowl. With a fork, whisk to combine, and set aside for 5 minutes. The water and ground flaxseed meal will gel together, and get really goopy. (Note: skip this step if you are just going to use 2 regular eggs in the recipe.)
Make the batter
To the bowl with the mashed bananas, add the sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, oil, and the flaxseed eggs/eggs. Whisk until everything is well combined and incorporated.
Add the dry ingredients
Now add the flour, graham cracker crumbs (or almond meal), baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir until mostly combined, then add in the chocolate chips/chunks. Stir until the chocolate is just incorporated.
Bake the banana bread
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Oil TWO 8 inch by 4 inch loaf pans. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Gently shake each pan to ensure that the batter spreads evenly.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle will come out mostly clean.
This recipe makes TWO, 8 inch by 4 inch loaf pans.This banana bread is gluten-free if you use gluten-free flour and gluten-free graham crackers. I prefer Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour for this recipe. My favorite gluten-free graham crackers for this recipe are Pamela's.This banana bread is vegan if you use flaxseed eggs and vegan graham crackers, such as Nabisco's Original. If you can't find vegan graham crackers, then you can substitute the 1 cup graham cracker crumbs with 1 cup of almond meal. This banana bread is gluten-free and vegan if you use flaxseed eggs and vegan & gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, or substitute the graham cracker crumbs with almond meal.