Grilled Potato Spinach Quesadillas
These Grilled Potato Spinach Quesadillas are a quick vegetarian or vegan meal that can be made with ingredients we all usually have on hand!
It’s pretty safe to say that we’re all spending a lot of time at home these days.
And if you’re like me and my family, you’re probably trying to minimize the amount of time you spend out of the house.
That includes grocery shopping!
But working with the food you have on hand to make meals at home doesn’t have to be boring or flavorless. And these quesadillas are proof!
Grilled Potato Spinach Quesadillas: A True Pantry Meal!
This is definitely a pantry meal, so these quesadillas come together with ingredients we all usually have on hand. (And if you’re looking for another excellent pantry meal, be sure to check out my Creamy Mascarpone Tomato Gnocchi!)
All are staple ingredients in most homes, so these quesadillas are especially great right now while we’re trying to minimize our time out and about!
Even better, for these grilled quesadillas you can use any type of potato, any type or size of tortilla, fresh or frozen spinach, and if you’re vegan or out of cheese, these quesadillas are just as delicious without it.
My Favorite Spatula For Quesadilla Flipping!
Before I send you down to the recipe, here’s my recommended tool for flipping these quesadillas [aff. link].
It’s technically marketed as a cookie spatula, but the smaller size of this spatula makes it perfect for everything in my book! I love that this spatula size gives me greater control over where these quesadillas land when I flip them!
Stay Healthy and Safe!
I hope so much that you and your friends and family are staying healthy and safe at this crazy time.
Enjoy the increased family time, and make these quesadillas for your next meal at home!
And be sure to check out my new variation on these quesadillas. My Grilled Potato Spinach Quesadillas with Beyond Meat Sausage and Bell Peppers are just as addicting and delicious. 😋
Grilled Potato Spinach Quesadillas
For the potato filling:
- 1 ½ pounds potatoes, whatever you’ve got on hand! (I have made this recipe with Dutch, Yukon Gold, and Red potatoes. You don’t even have to peel the potatoes if you’re ok with a little texture, which I am!)
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 2 Tbsp butter, use Earth Balance or sub with olive oil to keep vegan
- 2 Tbsp mascarpone, (optional, but highly recommended; omit to keep vegan, or sub with vegan cream cheese)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach, or 8-12 oz frozen
- 1-2 cups cheddar, freshly grated (omit to keep vegan, or use your favorite vegan cheddar)
- Tortillas, I used a mix of 20 small, taco-sized flour and corn tortillas, but use whatever tortilla size and type you have on hand
- Olive oil, for frying
Boil the Potatoes
- Bring the potatoes to a boil in a large soup pot of water. There should be at least 1 inch of water above the potatoes.
- Boil for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft, and a fork goes easily through when the potatoes are pricked.
- Note: if using large potatoes, I recommend cutting them in half or quarters before boiling so they cook faster!
Drain the potatoes
- Once the potatoes are cooked through and a fork goes easily through each potato when pricked, drain the potatoes, and put them back in the pot.
- To the pot, add the milk, butter, mascarpone, and salt.
Mash the potatoes
- With a handheld mixer, now mix the potatoes on medium speed until completely smooth, and the butter and mascarpone are completely incorporated.
Add the spinach and seasonings
- While the now mashed potatoes are still warm, add in the spinach, garlic powder, and onion salt, and pepper.
- Stir everything together with a silicone spatula until the spinach wilts and is cooked through.
- Note: if using frozen spinach, cook the spinach on the stovetop until warm before adding to the potatoes. Frozen spinach will also probably turn your potatoes a little green, but it’ll still be absolutely delicious!
Compile the quesadillas
- Now take a tortilla. Spread your desired amount of potato filling on half of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle some freshly grated cheddar over the potato filling. (omit the cheese to keep these grilled quesadillas vegan!)
- Now fold the other half of the tortilla over the top of the potato filling and cheddar.
- Repeat this process until you’ve used up all your potato filling.
Grill the quesadillas
- In a medium to large-sized skillet, heat a few Tbsps of olive oil over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, after about 1 minute, add however many quesadillas to the skillet that you can without over-crowding the pan (I have small, taco-sized tortillas on hand these days, and I usually fit 2-3 quesadillas in the skillet at a time.)
- Grill/fry the quesadillas over medium heat until the side in the pan turns golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip each quesadilla over, and grill the other side until golden brown, another 2-3 minutes.
- Take the quesadillas out of the skillet, and put them on a paper towel-covered plate to help remove excess oil.
- Repeat the grilling/frying process with all the quesadillas you’ve assembled.
Serve and Enjoy!
- These grilled quesadillas are a great meal alone, or serve them with a side of beans for protein, a nice salad, and sour cream or your favorite hot sauce for dipping!
Recipes and Red Carpet, Directly to Your Inbox Weekly!
My Favorite Kitchen Find
Aren’t these little pink ramekins adorable? I use mine for making personal-sized desserts, like these cakelettes, as well as for prep work, and for storing food in the refrigerator. These are such a stylish addition to the kitchen! Click to view my favorite on Amazon
As Featured In...
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.