Chipotle Bean Salad and Corn Bread
Can you believe we’re on the last week of summer?
SERIOUSLY, where has this summer gone? It’s been a great one, filled with family, friends, traveling, MOVING, and so many adventures!
My Summer Highlights in no particular order:
- Goat Yoga with one of my dearest friends. (And everything else we did together while she was in town!)
- Family trip to Utah!
- An AMAZING girls’ weekend with two of my best friends!
- ROLLING STONES CONCERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with my wonderful parents, siblings, and our spouses (and if you’re curious, YES, Mick Jagger still moves around that stage as if he were an energetic 20 year old!)
- FINALLY getting basically MOSTLY settled in to our new home.
- Moms’ Day Off Lunch at the Biltmore with another of my dearest friends!
- My daughter’s first dance recital. So sweet!
- Seeing one of my favorite Doris Day films on the big screen at Old Town Music Hall with Andrew and a few other cherished friends who share my Doris obsession!
And while I would love summer to keep on going and basically repeat all of these fabulous summer memories, I’m also excited for fall to officially start, and all the fun that comes with this beautiful season.
My recipe today is the perfect segue between summer and fall. This chipotle bean salad and corn bread somehow feel summery and autumn-y at the same time. When I made it for my family and one of my best friends last week, she had the perfect description for it: it’s kind of like a cool chili. Yes!!! Perfectly said, this three-bean salad is so reminiscent of chili, yet it’s cooling and refreshing. Sounds a lot like a combination of autumn and summer, doesn’t it? Enjoy this chipotle bean salad with some of my corn bread, and you’ve truly got the perfect meal to transition from summer to fall.
A few quick notes:
You can easily make the chipotle bean salad vegan by subbing in your favorite vegan sour cream. And this bean salad is already gluten free!
I have made the corn bread both vegan and non-vegan. And it’s delicious each way! The Parmesan is such a fun addition if you’re not keeping this cornbread vegan. If Parmesan sounds like an off-the-wall corn bread addition, just trust me—it’s phenomenal! There is something about the corn flavor and texture that just so wonderfully compliments the salty-sharpness of the Parmesan.
If you are going for vegan corn bread, simply use your favorite vegan butter, omit the Parmesan, and substitute a flaxseed “egg” (as written in the recipe) for the tradtional eggs. I must say, I think the flaxseed “egg” enhances the texture of the corn bread, and I prefer the recipe when made with a flaxseed “egg.” (But whatever way you go, this is some delicious corn bread!)
Also, this cornbread only has ½ cup of flour in it, so it’s very easily made gluten free.
Ok I’m, done. Say goodbye to summer and hello to fall with this chipotle bean salad and corn bread!
What were your favorite adventures this summer?
Chipotle Bean Salad and Corn Bread
For the bean salad:
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can pinto beans, drained
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- ½ cup cilantro, diced
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 -2 tsp lime juice, or to taste
For the chipotle sauce:
- ¼ cup sour cream, or vegan sour cream
- 1 chipotle pepper and 2 tsp adobo sauce, (from a can; use more or less according to spice preference. I like La Constena brand.)
For the corn bread:
- 1 ½ cups cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp freshly ground Parmesan, optional (omit if keeping vegan)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 1/3 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 flaxseed egg, (2 Tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 Tbsp water)
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp butter melted, for the pan
Make the chipotle sauce
- In a food processor, add the sour cream, the chipotle pepper, and the adobo sauce. Pulse 10 times, then open and scrape down the sides. Pulse 10 more times, then process until smooth. Sauce is done! Set aside.
Make the salad
- In a large bowl, add all of the beans and the corn. Mix to incorporate, taking care not to smash the beans with your mixing utensil! Now add in the cilantro, salt, and 1 tsp lime juice. Mix again.
- Now pour all of the sauce over the bean mixture, and stir to incorporate.
- Let the dish sit for a little bit, about 10 minutes, to allow the flavors to mesh. Taste, add more lime juice, adobo sauce, or salt if desired. Salad is done, onto the cornbread!
Preheat the oven and your baking dish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Put a 9x9 inch cast iron skillet or glass baking dish in the oven while you prepare the corn bread batter. We want the baking dish to be HOT when the corn bread batter hits it!
- (If making this corn bread vegan, now is a good time to make the flaxseed "egg." Simply whisk together 2 Tbsp ground flaxmeal and 3 Tbsp water. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes, until it becomes thick and goopy.)
Make the batter
- Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, Parmesan (if using), salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Now add in the almond milk and eggs (or flaxseed egg). Whisk until combined. Now add in 6 Tbsp of melted butter.
- Take the skillet/baking dish out of the oven, and pour in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter to coat the bottom of the skillet. It will sizzle! Using a hot pad, hold the skillet/baking dish and kind of shake it so that the butter evenly coats the bottom. Now pour the corn bread batter into the skillet/baking dish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve the chipotle bean salad and corn bread together with some greens, and enjoy the perfect end of summer meal!
Recipes and Red Carpet, Directly to Your Inbox
My Favorite Kitchen Find
Aren’t these little pink ramekins adorable? I use mine for making personal-sized desserts, like these cakelettes, as well as for prep work, and for storing food in the refrigerator. These are such a stylish addition to the kitchen! Click to view my favorite on Amazon
As Featured In...
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.